Thursday, October 16, 2014

Maida Burfi/Maida Cake - Easy Diwali Sweets




Here is my next sweet for this Diwali. This is really a very easy and simple sweet and get ready very quickly. There was a time a my mother used to prepare this sweet every year for Diwali. This was also one of the first sweets I learnt to prepare.  I like to prepare it with the Vanilla essence but you can add even pineapple essence. I have not tried any other flavours. You can add any food color of your choice. I prefer not to add food color. So do try this really easy yet delicious burfi this Diwali.



Yeild – 14 to 15 medium sized pieces

What you'll need
  1. Maida/All Purpose Flour – ¾ cup
  2. Sugar – 1 cup
  3. Ghee, melted  – ¼ cup
  4. Vanilla Essence – few drops

Method
  1. Grease a tray with ghee and set aside.
  2. In a Kadai, add the ghee, once ghee is hot, and maida and fry the maida on medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until the raw smell of the flour disappears. Take care not to burn the maida. Keep aside.
  3. Heat a non stick kadai, add the sugar with ¼ cup water and dissolve the sugar. Heat the sugar syrup until the syrup reaches one string consistency. To test consistency, take a drop of the syrup in between your thumb and index finger and gently bring the fingers apart, you should see a single thread of sugar syrup.
  4. Now, switch off the flame/heat add the essence to the syrup.
  5. Add the fried maida and keep stirring. Keep stirring continuously till the whole mixture comes together as a mass/ball, took me about 5 minutes.
  6. Transfer to a greased plate and flatten the top with a butter paper of with the greased bottom of a flat cup like davara.
  7. Let cool for couple of minutes and then mark the pieces with a  sharp knife.
  8. Cool and remove pieces and store in airtight container.

Notes:
  1. I added Vanila essence and did not add any color. But you can add any food color of your choice, like yellow color and also change the essence to pineapple or a flavour of your choice. But my personal favourite is Vanilla.
  2. Mix continuously till the mixture leaves the sides of the kadai and comes together as a mass/ball.


13 comments:

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Delicious and lovely looking maida burfis. Excellent preparation.
Deepa

Kurinji said...

yummy and delicious sweet...

nandoos kitchen said...

looks delicious..

sujitha said...

such a soft fudge...
visit my space in www.sujithaeasycooking.com
participate in my giveaway and u be the lucky winner
http://www.sujithaeasycooking.com/2014/10/giveaway-for-2nd-blog-anniversary.html

Unknown said...

Burfi looks great

great-secret-of-life said...

love the texture and color.. Happy diwali

Hema said...

I have never really tasted this, they look awesome, I think I'll also like it with the vanilla flavor..

Raji RAMAKRISHNAN said...

hi kaveri, nice recipe.

how are u all. not to be heard now a days.

Unknown said...

Lovely recipe! I welcome u to my & Monu's HM Besties Event #2 that is about "Wedding Anniversary Cakes & Sweets" ..Plz hop over & link ur lovely recipes :)

Unknown said...

Lovely recipe! I welcome u to my & Monu's HM Besties Event #2 that is about "Wedding Anniversary Cakes & Sweets" ..Plz hop over & link ur lovely recipes :)

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

one of the easy burphi n tasty burphi too...Nice attempt..

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

one of the easy burphi n tasty burphi too...Nice attempt..

jawnsin said...

Add dessicated coconut and crushed pista..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...